Sunday, February 22, 2009

Sex Ed on Stage: Peg-Ass-Us



On Friday night I made the trek two whole subway stops into Brooklyn (hey, that's impressive for a Queens resident like me!) to see a fascinating show conceived, written and performed by John Leo and Sophie Nimmannit. I sat next to them at the Susie Bright event I blogged about earlier this week and when they handed me a pink flier with a picture of a dildo and told me they were doing a show about pegging I knew I had to see it. Even if it meant I had to brave the horrors of the L train.

If you're not familiar, "pegging" is when a woman has anal sex with a man using a strap-on dildo. Some people do it to feminize the man, to switch up gender roles or because they find it humiliating and get off on that, but the main reason to do it is it stimulates the prostate which feels GREAT. The term was coined a few years ago by Savage Love readers (relive those memories here and here).

John and Sophie, a real life couple, use puppetry, song, dance, nudity and yoga to tell the world just how much they love to peg and to overcome the preconception that the butt isn't someplace that heteros go, a ludicrous idea which many straight men use to cock block themselves. They frame the whole wild production with a silly story in which uptight John is embarrassed to out himself as an analphile and needs the audience to take pegging seriously, which puts him at odds with Sophie's no-holds-barred joy at the sheer slutty gender-bendy-ness of it all. (But don't worry, they're only pretend fighting.) As you can see in the demo video I posted above they even invite audience members on stage to demonstrate pegging through puppetry. I volunteered and got to be the lower sphincter. It was totally worth getting soaked with a squirt gun representing the lube.

It isn't all fun and games. It can actually get kinda heavy. At one point John talks about how his brother's suicide -- probably because he was gay -- made John break up with his fiancée so he could find a partner who would let him include his fantasies of anal play in their relationship.

Unfortunately the show closed this weekend. But John and Sophie told me afterward that they intended to bring it back so I encourage you to check their website regularly for information on Peg-Ass-Us and all of their sex-positive shows. And they're looking to take the show on the road so if you don't live in NYC and you'd like to see Peg-Ass-Us in the theater near you, contact them!

No comments:

Post a Comment