Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Stacks - Bondage for Sex

Bondage for Sex, Volume 1
by Chanta Rose
BDSM Press, 2006

Bondage has two kinds of practitioners. There are the ones who are using rope as a medium to create mind-blowingly gorgeous works of art. And then there are the ones who just want to tie 'em up and fuck 'em. This book makes no bones about the fact that it is written for the latter group. I find that refreshing because most books about bondage seem to be written by and for the artistic types.

I've always found myself in the second group. I like rope, I think it's beautiful to look at and fun to use (even if it takes awhile) but every once in a while I meet a real expert and I realize that I have nothing even approaching their level of skill or interest -- for some it's a full-blown fetish. And I've all but given up listening to The Ropecast because I know I'm never going to have that level of commitment to rope. Chanta Rose, who has designed bondage for several sites in the Kink.com constellation (most famously, Chanta's Bitches), is one of those experts, beyond any doubt, but she had the benevolence or the business sense to write this book for the rest of us.

Bondage for Sex's simple concept is right there in its title: this book isn't about bondage for it's own sake, it's about bondage to enhance sex. It presents about a half-dozen basic ties, each with a few variations. Unlike other bondage books I've looked at, which include drawn diagrams that frequently confuse the hell out of me, Rose has included photographs of the ties in every stage of completion. Not only is this much easier to follow, it's considerably more fun to look a photographs of beautiful bondage models than crude pen-and-ink sketches.

At this point, I've tried nearly every tie in this book with my partners, so I can report that the book's directions are straight forward and easy to follow. The most difficult tie, a chest harness, takes a while to get the hang of, but it is a great design -- unlike several other chest harnesses I've seen/attempted, it has a very convenient "handle" positioned on the upper back for which there are no end of uses.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who is interested in bondage. It's a fantastic place to start!

1 comment: