Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Tim Gunn's It Gets Better Video



Over the past week I've been watching quite a few of the It Gets Better Project videos while reading Slog and I've really been blown away by what I've seen. That said, I have to say that I've liked the videos by ordinary people much more than the videos by celebrities -- for example, the video by Perez Hilton didn't do much for me.

However, for whatever reason, I just watched Tim Gunn's it gets better video and I was totally blown away. In it, Gunn admits that he was in so much despair about being gay that he attempted suicide by taking pills when he was seventeen years old. Now, I'm not a huge fan of Gunn's reality show (see how I avoided saying the name of the show as if I'm not totally sure if it's the one with the models or the designers) but it strikes me that admitting to a failed suicide attempt is a pretty big step for a celebrity to take. These people are very concerned with their public image and it says something about Tim Gunn that he's willing to take a risk in the way he's perceived in the media if he can help a gay kid. So I say bravo to Tim Gunn, just as I said bravo to Dan Savage for starting this whole thing. Well done, guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment